So I know, what's easier than buying prepackaged microwave popcorn, unwrapping the plastic and nuking it for 3.5 minutes? Well, although that's really easy, if you have an underpowered dorm microwave, you might have some problems. For example, you might end up with a bag of half-burned popcorn and a lot of unpopped kernels in the bottom. Or, if you're like me, you end up with way too much popcorn for just one person! The amount of fat and other crap in a bag of buttered microwave popcorn is not good, especially when you're eating ramen all the time - cutting back where you can is good.
This recipe enables you to pop an individual serving of popcorn, in only about 2 minutes, with few to no unpopped kernels. It also allows you to butter and season it anyway you like.
Popping corn that comes in a jar
Paper lunch bags
Spray butter if you're going for minimal butter, or melt your own regular butter
Any salt/seasonings you like.
1. Open the bag up and unfold it so there's as much room as possible inside.
2. Pour approximately 3 tablespoons worth of corn into the bag
3. Fold the top of the bag over once, about half an inch down, then fold over again and tape closed. (Make sure the bag still has that unfolded look)
4. Place the bag on its biggest side (area-wise) in the microwave
5. Microwave on high for 1.5-2.5 minutes, and wait till the popping slows to about 4-5 sec between each pop.
6. Tear off the top of the bag, spray/pour your butter and seasonings in, give it a few tosses, and you're good to go!